New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News
View Full List

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why You Always Use a Pop Filter (and How to Choose One)
09-01-2011, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2011 02:42 PM by Airrest.)
Information Why You Always Use a Pop Filter (and How to Choose One)
All About Pop Filters

Pop Filters Are Important
I had a brief argument with Stokes2k8 on Twitter several minutes ago on the effectiveness of pop filters and highlighting where to properly position one, etc. He suggested, like many others I've seen, to talk to the side of the microphone. While this is a good solution if you do not currently have a pop filter, it is not the best solution if you already own one. He suggested that pop filters do not work at all, which is simply false. You may not understand how a pop filter works or exactly what its doing, but that doesn't mean it's not working.

How It Works
Using a pop filter for the first time may be discouraging. If you don't pay close attention to how your microphone sounds, you're probably going to miss it and come away with the same conclusion as our friend Stokes. A pop filter will not get rid of every little pop or hard sound. Also, I should take the time to note that a pop filter is not the same thing is a windscreen. They are two separate things performing two separate jobs. A windscreen will not work as a pop filter. A pop filter performs the task of reducing the amount of hard air (or "puffs") created from your breath from reaching the microphone. That is it. Puffs can create distortion and make your take sound absolutely nasty. A pop filter doesn't magically get rid of hard 'p' sounds. It will help slightly with hard 'p' sounds, however this is not its overall goal. Hard 'p' sounds are natural. When you say "peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers", the way you position your lips causes the air to "puff" out harder than normal. It's like this for a lot of sounds that we make. A properly trained voice actor will be able to limit the 'hardness' of the 'p', 'd', 'b', and other sounds using proper breathing, etc.

What To Look For
So we've got that they're important. The good news is: they're also cheap. So choosing a pop filter: what do you get? There are two main types of filter that you can acquire: nylon and metal. I've dabbled in both and I can tell you that a nylon filter is the way to go. Metal filters, while they work excellently, can create a "tinny" sound in your recordings. You don't want that. I suggest a nylon filter. It may not reduce puffs quite as much, but it still does the job very well. If you can, get a double layer, split level nylon pop filter. You can find these on Amazon for about $25 USD. The great thing about a double layered filter is you have more protection against pops. You have two layers of nylon rather than just one. And split level, I believe, means that the two pieces of nylon are not directly laying on top of each other. There should be about a centimeter or less distance between the two pieces. This, I've found, greatly helps.

To give you an example of what a condenser mic sounds like with and without a pop filter, please CLICK HERE.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2011, 05:06 PM
RE: Why You Always Use a Pop Filter (and How to Choose One)
I will use my sock forever.

[Image: 28qz3p1.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like codeblackhayate's post
09-01-2011, 05:25 PM
(09-01-2011 05:06 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  I will use my sock forever.

That's what I wanted to use once, although my microphone isn't that terrible. It only makes puffs when I'm really close to it. I can say that I'm quite lucky to have this microphone because even though it's really old, it records pretty crystal clearly. Shazam! Sleepy

[Image: petewave.gif]
09-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Huh, I didn't know about this(assuming this is true and not sarcastic). I was gonna ask eventually how to not get pops on a Rock Band mic.

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: GmrEnlF.jpg]

Quote:ortherwise its still morally wrong, like kidnapping you and replacing you with a retarded clone who snorts cheese to get high, not to that extent, as it is only an online forum , but the principle is the same.
Twitter: Truthordeal
09-01-2011, 10:11 PM
(09-01-2011 08:00 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  

Huh, I didn't know about this(assuming this is true and not sarcastic). I was gonna ask eventually how to not get pops on a Rock Band mic.

Rock band mic sucks liek woah compared to a condenser (Yeti = <3). I don't use one anymore, but I had to use a combo of offsetting the axis of my head/different distances and positions depending on the line + a sock filter. You can get an okay recording (and by okay, I mean passable for some things....things that don't include yelling or excitement for that matter), but you have to clean likes with the patience of a thousand Sky High Preorders. I remember spending a ton of time using silence and delete to get my lines halfway decent sounding. Recording in a concrete box didn't help.

(P.S. My sock filter get more love than my thePop, which will rot in the depths of my widget drawer).

01-01-2012, 07:22 AM
I don't use a pop filter. And despite all arguments for it, I probably never will. Alas laziness has got the better of me. To be perfectly honest though, I think it greatly enhances the experience, but I don't think it is necessary.

(05-10-2014 05:09 PM)xtraveemon Wrote:  Gode Ment
(05-12-2014 09:25 PM)mattroks101 Wrote:  I hate this goddamn site.
Electric Anime Batman
Baccano! Teh Abridged Series!
My twitter
01-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Defiantly not necessary but it will make the recording process a lot less time consuming.

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
01-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Not super necessary if your plosives aren't too hard, but if you have don't have good technique or want more freedom in how you voice characters they are a boon. They also keep spit and hard air bursts away from the sensitive hardware inside the mic.

Oh ho ho ho. My sock filter is also a protective dust and spit shield!

01-01-2012, 11:07 AM
I use a home made pop filter (named Phil) and it works incredibly well, I'm glad I did it and it was pretty cheap Big Grin

Projects:
- Secret: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 4:- - Editing
- WalCraft - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Coming Soon
- QuizGuru's Editing Journal:- - - Coming Soon
01-01-2012, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2012 02:19 PM by Truthordeal.)
(01-01-2012 11:07 AM)AnimeLawyers Wrote:  I use a home made pop filter (named Phil) and it works incredibly well, I'm glad I did it and it was pretty cheap Big Grin

Give us some instructions you putz!!! D=

Spoiler(Show)

Quote:ortherwise its still morally wrong, like kidnapping you and replacing you with a retarded clone who snorts cheese to get high, not to that extent, as it is only an online forum , but the principle is the same.
01-01-2012, 04:06 PM
(01-01-2012 08:50 AM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  Oh ho ho ho. My sock filter is also a protective dust and spit shield!

Socks make excellent filters. :V
01-01-2012, 04:18 PM
(01-01-2012 02:19 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  
(01-01-2012 11:07 AM)AnimeLawyers Wrote:  I use a home made pop filter (named Phil) and it works incredibly well, I'm glad I did it and it was pretty cheap Big Grin

Ummm... instructions on how to make one? It's not that hard, I found out online.

All I needed was an embroidery ring, some wire and tubing, twist ties and pantyhose.

Projects:
01-01-2012, 05:11 PM
(01-01-2012 04:18 PM)AnimeLawyers Wrote:  
(01-01-2012 02:19 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  

Ummm... instructions on how to make one? It's not that hard, I found out online.

All I needed was an embroidery ring, some wire and tubing, twist ties and pantyhose.

Or if you can find a wire coathanger, that works well for me.

Trained at the top of Mt Abrudged for 3 years; I'm back and more powerful than ever![Image: TYYHS-1.jpg]
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Quick and dirty --> embroidery hoop + pantyhose or tights + copper wire + 2 battery clips/alligator clips (or something similar)
You can easily crimp the clips to both ends of the wire if you get the right size. Then, you can use the clip ends to attach the hoop and fasten to whatever surface. The wire allows it to bend about for positioning. You can warp it with electrical tape if you don't like exposed wire.

Other methods in the same vein:
http://www.jakeludington.com/project_stu...creen.html
http://www.deansabatino.com/2005/08/21/67/

01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Easy way to get rid of pops on a Rock Band mic. Keep it out of the way of your breath. If you're holding it, move your arm to the side a little, and if it's on a stand, keep your mouth above, or next to the mic.

BTW, if you can't afford an $80 professional mic, Rock Band mic is by far your best bet.

Sgt. Frog: The Other Abridged Series
Last.fm
deviantART
Twitter
01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
That would be offsetting the axis of your head, as discussed above.

The Rock Band mic (AKA Logitec USB microphone) kind of sucks and tends to be tinny, especially on the highs. If that's all you have and you aren't really that concerned about audio quality, then by all means use it. They're great if you wanna goof off with AVA and have one lying around, just don't go out of your way to get one (Or expect to be cast very often using it). Money is better spent on a much better quality mic. You'll get mediocre-passable quality if you have a quiet room and a lot of patience for cleaning and retakes.

If you're at all wanting nice audio quality, spring for a USB condenser mic. Nowadays you can get a pretty sweet recording from your personal computer, without having to invest in a lot. With about $30 (USD) and some luck, you can get a used Snowball USB condenser ($60ish new) that will own the desu out of the Rock Band freebie. The Samson - CO1U is also very popular and in the same price range. Around $100 (USD) gets you a Yeti and super awesome quality.

There are some handy microphone reviews here!
http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/sho...hone-Guide

01-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I have long since accepted that my voice work is not going to be the selling point of whatever stuff I make. Most of this has to do with the fact that I have no acting skill whatsoever and that I have a weird voice that doesn't really work unless I do a "character" voice, as well as a very pronounced lisp. But another part is that, as a miser and a poor college student, I cannot in good conscience pay even the low-ball figure for a decent microphone(this is also why I use Audacity and not Adobe Audition, like amateur voice actors keep telling me I need to do).

I'll probably never be invited to do a voice for TeamFourStar or get scouted by the VAA, but for what I do, my Rockband mic works great. I know how to clean audio with Audacity and the other thread I started here taught me how to work better with audio afterward recording is done, so I'm not that badly off either way.

One thing I have noticed is that with my Rockband mic my plosives(p, b, and for whatever reason, t and qu) tend to pop a lot, so I was genuinely curious about the sock pop filter. I'll give it a try next time I record, and if not, I think I can bear to part with $15 or so to get one from Amazon.

Spoiler(Show)

[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
01-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Oh ho ho ho ho ho! My kawaii desu desu lisp keeps me working them kawaii desu desu roles! I jest. But seriously, it does.

The Rock Band mic is terrible with any dynamic vocal work, be it changes in volume to changes in air force on plosives (tuh, quh, buh, puh, etc). A sock or a pop filter won't cure it, just cut it down a tiny bit. When I rocked the Rock Band mic, I manually edited out my plosives and changed mic technique and position line by line. It was a pain and took forever to get anything done. =3 Worked for a couple of years though!

Your pop filter will be worth more than your microphone if you get one (like 6-7x). I too came to this realization, and the sock filter was born. I recommend a knee sock. A cute one, with a bright pattern. Attach, scrunch for an air pocket, and let the remaining fabric fall in front. Then use super steel power to not move the fabric while recording. (Or just scrunch everything and leave a small bit with an little air pocket.) Some light fabric/pantyhose also works, but you don't have to hold on to/dock/build the sock filter.

Also, Audacity FTW.

01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
The mic built into my LAPTOP was better than the Rock Band Mic when I tested it >.>

Projects:
01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
PS01 Pop Filter WHOO!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)